In this post, we take a look at some of the science behind the benefits of meditation, and give you a brief overview of the different meditation classes on Mindhouse.
The Need for Meditation in the 21st Century
In our modern hectic world, it can sometimes help to take a moment and slow things down. Our stressful work environments and largely sedentary lifestyles take their toll on us both mentally as well as physically. To add to that, we’re constantly bombarded by digital stimuli, via a number of screens, and at times, this can have an overwhelming effect.
All this makes it even more essential for us to make time for “me time”. To find a way to disconnect, and be only with ourselves and our own thoughts. If you’ve ever wondered how or where to start doing something like this – meditation classes may just be the answer.
The benefits of meditation
A practice that dates back centuries, meditation has undergone numerous changes over the years, with numerous techniques and variations of it being adopted by millions of people and communities all around the world.
Attending regular meditation classes can have a number of positive effects on us, and the best part is that these benefits are deeply grounded in scientific study. Research around meditation has increased exponentially in recent times, and a lot of these studies have confirmed just how beneficial meditation can be for our mental well-being.
Meditation is essentially a workout for the brain, and there is ample evidence to show for it. Indeed, even just 20 minutes of meditation each day can help lead to a number of tangible benefits, such as Better Sleep, Increased Productivity, and a more Relaxed Mind.
Meditation Classes on Meditation
At Mindhouse, we offer a number of different courses, all geared towards 5 main goals and outcomes – sleep, focus, patience, a relaxed body, and a relaxed mind.
Here’s a look at all the different meditation classes you can explore on Mindhouse, to help you start your wellness journey:
- Musical Mindfulness – Mindfulness is the ability to be present with our current thoughts, actions, and surroundings. This class uses music as a hook, and helps train your mind to stay in the moment, and observe your thoughts without engaging with them, which in turn enhances focus and our powers of patience.
- Total Calm – This class helps guide you into a state of deep calm, with the help of powerful visualizations. Your body is settled, and your imagination focuses on soothing mental imagery, resulting in a relaxed physical and mental state.
- Breathwork – Rhythmic breathing exercises help enhance focus, and improve your overall brain health, by promoting the growth of new neural connections. Deep breathing exercises also trigger the relaxation responses in the body, lowering your heart rate and blood pressure, making you feel more calm and relaxed.
- Cyclic Meditation – Built on the principle of alternate stimulation and relaxation of muscles, this class is a great stress-buster. The technique involves tensing and quickly relaxing various muscles in the body, in cycles, which helps slow down and deepen your breathing patterns, resulting in a calmer body and mind.
- Overcoming Anxiety – The techniques in this class train your mind to focus on calming imagery, and imagine an effective storyline, to help you feel grounded and safe. Research shows that our brain interprets these visuals as real-life imagery, and responds to it accordingly, helping to alleviate symptoms of stress and anxiety.
- Refresh – In this class, you stimulate different muscle groups one by one, and then relax them with a variety of techniques. By relieving accumulated stress and tension from different muscles and joints, we are able to trigger the natural relaxation of the body, which also leads to a calmer, more relaxed mind.
- Loving Kindness – This class trains the mind to evoke feelings of love and affection, and direct towards yourself, and then towards one person of your choice. The aim is to make this positive feeling the dominant emotion in our mind, which helps to slow down the mind’s activity, and uncover the joy and happiness that lies within each one of us.
- Silent Meditation – This is a guided class, where the instructor leads you into a relaxed state, and once the mind is calm, guides you to observe your own thoughts. The technique helps to reduce mental chatter layer by layer, making you more aware of external sensory perceptions.
- Vital Yoga – The Vital Yoga class involves a range of postures that help to stretch and energise your entire body. These necessary, purposeful movements utilise key muscles and joints from head to toe, which we don’t normally use in our everyday life.
Each of our meditation classes has been designed with the guidance of meditation experts, to ensure that the structure of the class, and the techniques involved provide the maximum benefit for anyone who attends them. Moreover, these classes are available multiple times each day, to allow for more flexibility, so our users can pick the ones that fit best into their daily schedule.
If you’re looking to start building a regular practice, meditation classes on Mindhouse can provide you with a great starting point. Download the Mindhouse app, and take that first step on your wellness journey!