Why is meditation important? What are some useful relaxation techniques? What different types of meditation are there for you to explore? In this post, we hope to answer some of these questions, as well as a few more! We’ll take a look at some of the science behind the benefits of daily meditation, and give you a brief overview of the different types of meditation classes on Mindhouse, that can help you kickstart your wellness journey!
Why is meditation important? The 21st Century need
In our modern hectic world, it can sometimes help to take a moment and slow things down. Our stressful work environments and largely sedentary lifestyles take their toll on us both mentally as well as physically. To add to that, we’re constantly bombarded by digital stimuli, via a number of screens, and at times, this can have an overwhelming effect.
Which brings us back to the same question – why is meditation important? For one, it may be more essential than ever to help us navigate these turbulent times that we live in. In the hectic modern age, it’s even more important than ever before for us to make time for “me time”. To find a way to disconnect, and be only with ourselves and our own thoughts. If you’ve ever wondered how or where to start doing something like this – daily meditation classes may just be the answer.
The benefits and uses of meditation
A practice that dates back centuries, meditation is one of the most popular and widely-used mind relaxation techniques in the world. It has undergone numerous changes over the years, with countless techniques and variations of it being adopted by millions of people and communities all around the world.
Attending daily meditation classes can have a number of positive effects on us, and the best part is that these benefits are deeply grounded in scientific study. Research around meditation has increased exponentially in recent times, and a lot of these studies have confirmed just how beneficial meditation can be for our mental well-being.
Meditation is essentially a workout for the brain, and there is ample evidence to show for it. Indeed, even just 20 minutes of meditation each day can help lead to a number of tangible benefits, such as Better Sleep, Increased Productivity, and a more Relaxed Mind.
Different Types of Meditation Classes
Now that we’ve answered the question of “why is meditation important”, it’s time to take a look at the “how”. At Mindhouse, we offer a number of meditation courses, all geared towards different goals and outcomes.
Here’s a look at all the different meditation classes and mind relaxation techniques you can explore on the Mindhouse app, to help you start your wellness journey:
- Musical Mindfulness – Mindfulness is the ability to be present with our current thoughts, actions, and surroundings. This class uses music as a hook, and helps train your mind to stay in the moment, and observe your thoughts without engaging with them, which in turn enhances focus and our powers of patience.
- Total Calm – This class helps guide you into a state of deep calm, with the help of powerful visualizations. Your body is settled, and your imagination focuses on soothing mental imagery, resulting in a relaxed physical and mental state.
- Breathwork – Rhythmic breathing exercises help enhance focus, and improve your overall brain health, by promoting the growth of new neural connections. Deep breathing exercises also trigger the relaxation responses in the body, lowering your heart rate and blood pressure, making you feel more calm and relaxed.
- Cyclic Meditation – Built on the principle of alternate stimulation and relaxation of muscles, this class is a great stress-buster. The technique involves tensing and quickly relaxing various muscles in the body, in cycles, which helps slow down and deepen your breathing patterns, resulting in a calmer body and mind.
- Overcoming Anxiety – One of the more popular mind relaxation techniques in meditation is that of visualization. This class uses this technique to help train your mind to focus on calming imagery, and imagine an effective storyline, to help you feel grounded and safe. Research shows that our brain interprets these visuals as real-life imagery, and responds to it accordingly, helping to alleviate symptoms of stress and anxiety.
- Refresh – In this class, you stimulate different muscle groups one by one, and then relax them with a variety of techniques. By relieving accumulated stress and tension from different muscles and joints, we are able to trigger the natural relaxation of the body, which also leads to a calmer, more relaxed mind.
- Loving Kindness – This class trains the mind to evoke feelings of love and affection, and direct towards yourself, and then towards one person of your choice. The aim is to make this positive feeling the dominant emotion in our mind, which helps to slow down the mind’s activity, and uncover the joy and happiness that lies within each one of us.
- Silent Meditation – This is a guided class, where the instructor leads you into a relaxed state, and once the mind is calm, guides you to observe your own thoughts. The technique helps to reduce mental chatter layer by layer, making you more aware of external sensory perceptions.
- Vital Yoga – The Vital Yoga class involves a range of postures that help to stretch and energise your entire body. These necessary, purposeful movements utilise key muscles and joints from head to toe, which we don’t normally use in our everyday life.
Handy tips for your daily meditation routine
While the benefits and uses of meditation are undoubtedly attractive, it’s important to ensure you’re executing the techniques the right way. Here are some handy tips that are suitable for beginners and experienced practitioners alike, when settling down for their daily meditation routine:
- Stick to a schedule: Attending your meditation classes at the same time everyday can help get your body and mind accustomed to the practice a lot faster, and aid in the habit-building process.
- Pick a quiet spot: This is a fairly obvious one! Picking a quiet spot in your home will help limit distractions and make it that much easier to complete each session effectively.
- Ease into each session: Suddenly switching your mind to meditation mode at the end of a busy day can be tricky. Take a few moments before you begin your meditation session to settle your body and mind, and get started when you feel at ease.
Each of our meditation classes has been designed with the guidance of meditation experts, to ensure that the structure of the class, and the techniques involved provide the maximum benefit for anyone who attends them. Moreover, these classes are available multiple times each day, to allow for more flexibility, so our users can pick the ones that fit best into their daily schedule.
If you’ve ever asked yourself “why is meditation important”, we hope we’ve been able to provide you with some answers and insight through this post. For anyone looking to start building a regular practice, meditation classes on Mindhouse can provide you with a great starting point. Download the Mindhouse app, and take that first step on your wellness journey!